Introduction and Consent
Southern is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy when you use our services.
- What personal data we collect from you when you use our website, apps, visit our stations, contact us or use our services
- How we will collect and use that information
- How we keep information secure and
- How you can contact us if you wish to exercise any of your rights in relation to the information.
By providing us with your information you consent to our use of it in the manner set out in this policy.
For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998, the data controller is:
Southern Railway Limited Go-Ahead House,
26-28 Addiscombe Road
Our nominated data protection officer is:
Head of Business Assurance and Data Protection Officer
26-28 Addiscombe Road
More information about the Data Protection Act can be found on the Information Commissioners Website.
Information We May Collect From You
We may collect and process information about you when you: travel on our services, visit our stations or car parks, use our website, buy a product from us or make an after sales enquiry, contact customer services.
How We use Your Information
We will only use the information you provide as permitted by the Data Protection Act. Depending on how you contact us, use our services, the consent you have given, or legal obligations we may have, this will include:
- To provide you with details of our services, information, newsletters, and details of promotions and offers which we feel may interest you
- To notify you about our services and changes to these
- To make and receive any payments necessary between us
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us
- For customer service, administration and customer research
- For your safety and security
Sharing or Disclosure of Your Information
We will only share or disclose your information as set out in this Policy or where permitted by the Data Protection Act and will obtain your consent where we are required to do so. We will only use 3rd parties to process information where we are satisfied that they comply with these standards. We may share or disclose information for the following reasons:
- We will share the information with our service providers where it is necessary for us to do so in order to fulfil a contract between us or to respond to requests for marketing and/or information from you
- To respond to your complaints or administer requests you have made, either to us or another regulatory body such as the Department for Transport; Passenger Focus, London Travel Watch, or other train operating company
- To process payment card transactions
- To comply with requests from the police or other law enforcement agencies for the purposes of crime prevention or detection. These are dealt with on a case-by-case basis, to ensure that any disclosure is lawful
- To comply with other legal obligations for example, relating to crime and taxation purposes or regulatory activity
- To protect our legitimate business interests, for example, for fraud prevention or revenue protection
- Where required as a result of the sale, merger, or acquisition of business assets
- If you have agreed to receive information for survey or research purposes, we may share your contact details with a limited number of parties, but only for the reasons you have agreed to in the survey return
- Where you have consented, to share with other members of the Go-Ahead Group PLC (registered in England, company number 02100855) (“Go Ahead”), of which we are a member, in order to respond to queries, complaints or a request for information from you, or where Go-Ahead has any services, promotions and offers which we feel may interest you. Details of other members of the Go-Ahead Group can be found at go-ahead.com
- In respect of information provided to us for marketing purposes only, to the Department for Transport and/or any successor operator of the rail franchise in order that they may contact you for marketing purposes in the event that we cease to operate this rail franchise
- Ticket Office Purchases
- Revenue Protection and Penalty Fares
- Customer Services
- Indicate this by using the tick box when you sign up or, if you have an account with us, by logging in and changing your contact preferences or
- To prevent all contact by us you can opt out at any time by contacting us using the following details: email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or write to Southern Customer Services, PO Box 10240, Ashby-De-La Zouche, LE65 9EB or telephone us on 03451 272920.
You can find out more about the information we collect and how we use, share or disclose it by clicking on the links below.
Where We Store Your Personal Information
The information that we collect from you will only be stored in the European Economic Area (“EEA”) or, where it is necessary to disclose it to our processors located outside the EEA , other jurisdictions which are acceptable according to guidance provided by the Information Commissioner and/or where appropriate legal and security safeguards are in place.
We use a range of technical and organisational measures to safeguard access to and use of, your personal information. These include structured access controls to systems, network protection, intrusion detection, physical access controls and staff training.
To prevent marketing to you:
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal information for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you before collecting your information if we intend to use or disclose it for such purposes. If you do not want us to use your information for marketing purposes either:
Your are entitled to request a copy of the information we hold about you.
Details of how to make a subject access request
We may occasionally update this statement. Your continued use of the site will mean that you accept those revisions.