When the turkey’s finished and it’s time to take down the tree, don’t fall into the January blues… instead make it your New Year’s resolution to get out and about and take advantage of up to 50% off train fares with Southern Railway.
Travellers who book tickets between 10th to 16th January will be able to take advantage of big discounts across the network with fares slashed to as little as £2.50 for travel from London Victoria to Brighton, Clapham Junction to Eastbourne or East Croydon to Portsmouth for example. Customers may book tickets for travel up to 12 weeks in advance and so could enjoy cut-price travel throughout spring to visit the region’s most popular attractions including London Zoo, Arundel Castle or Brighton Pier.
There’s no need to fear the Great British weather either, as Southern is the first and only rail operator to offer a hassle-free money-back promise with its ‘Rainy Day Guarantee’. Rather than loose out on the cost of tickets booked online in advance, customers who cannot travel for any reason can simply visit southernrailway.com, view their booking and then click Refund to claim their money back and waive the usual £10 penalty charge.
Rainy Day Guarantee Terms and Conditions
1. This offer is valid for Anytime, Anytime Day, Off-Peak, Off-Peak Day and Super Off-Peak Day tickets nationwide when purchased online at southernrailway.com, including Child tickets and Railcard discounted tickets. It also applies to Advance tickets booked online from 10th – 16th January 2011
2. All other ticket types are not included in this offer, these are: Daysave, Downlander, Super Group, Season Tickets and Advance tickets (with the exception of those booked online from 10th – 16th January 2011)
3. This offer applies to tickets booked on southernrailway.com for any journey and for travel on any train operator. Advance tickets booked from 10th-16th January 2011 are for travel on Southern trains only
4. The offer applies to any tickets in the above categories purchased online via southernrailway.com between 1st November - 25th May 2011. The date of travel can be after the end date of the promotion. Normally tickets are available up to 12 weeks in advance
5. You must select “Ticket on Departure” as your preferred means of receiving the ticket, but please be aware that the Rainy Day Guarantee only applies if your tickets have not been collected from a machine in the station. We therefore advise you not to collect your tickets until you are certain you wish to use them
6. If you wish to book tickets for multiple trips in a single transaction on southernrailway.com, we advise that in order for your tickets to qualify for the Rainy Day Guarantee, that you book the tickets you need for each trip in separate transactions. Otherwise, when you collect your tickets from the machine in the station for your first trip, it will give you all the tickets for all the journeys you booked so invalidating them for the Rainy Day Guarantee
7. To apply for a refund of your ticket you will need to login to your account, click the ‘Your Account’ button and view the booking for which you require the refund. Then click the ‘Refund’ button and fill in all required fields. Submit the form using the button at the bottom of the screen. When the next page opens, print the form and send to the address shown on the form. Please remember to add a phone number for our Customer Services team to call to obtain your card details
8. If you do collect your tickets from a TOD or Ticket Vending Machine from the station, then standard refund rules will apply and you will be charged the normal £10 refund administrative fee. Advance tickets are not refundable.
9. All refund requests under Rainy Day Guarantee should be made on southernrailway.com within 28 days of the expiry date of the ticket
10. There is no limit to the number of times you can apply for a refund under the Rainy Day Guarantee so long as the tickets you bought online via southernrailway.com are Anytime, Anytime Day, Off-Peak, Off-Peak Day and Super Off-Peak Day tickets bought between 1st November – 25th May 2011, and Southern Advance tickets booked between 10th-16th January 2011
11. The Rainy Day Guarantee refund process will take up to 7 working days from receipt of your application and your bank account will be credited when the refund is processed by your bank
Terms and Conditions for 50% off Advance
• Discounted Advance tickets are subject to availability which will vary by route and by day
• Valid for standard class only unless specified on your ticket
• Reservations are compulsory and tickets must be booked in advance
• Railcard discounts are valid with Senior, 16-25, Family and Friends, Disabled and HM Forces Railcards only**
• Upgrading to First Class is not available on Standard tickets
• No break of journey is permitted in either direction
• Tickets are non-refundable, except under the terms and conditions of the Rainy Day Guarantee
• Advance tickets are valid on Southern trains only unless specified on the ticket
• The Southern Railway Rainy Day Guarantee applies only to discounted Advance tickets purchased between 10th - 16th January 2011