Smitham station will be renamed Coulsdon Town on Sunday 22 May making it clearer that the station is in Coulsdon.
Croydon Council and local campaigners have long held the view that Smitham does not accurately reflect the location of the station in the centre of Coulsdon and that visitors, residents and the town itself would benefit from a more recognisable name.
During the Department for Transport’s (DfT) consultation on the current Southern franchise contract, Croydon Council suggested the contract should include a commitment to change the name of Smitham, following consultation. The DfT subsequently included this in the contract. The consultation ran from June to August 2009 with a proposal then formulated and ratified by the council. Southern then formally proposed the name change to the DfT.
Smitham station opened in 1904, named after the local village of Smitham Bottom which no longer exists.