Please note: we are sorry that due to a system error we are currently experiencing some issues with the processing of refunds. We are doing all we can to resolve this problem. Thank you for your patience.
If you change your mind or events prevent you from using part or all of your tickets, (other than a Season Ticket) then you may be entitled to a refund for most ticket types that have been purchased from the ticket office, the Self-Service Ticket Vending Machine or online.
You can apply for a refund with Southern:
- If the train you intended to use is cancelled, delayed or your reservation will not be honoured, you decide not to travel and at that time you return the unused ticket to any ticket office, we will, where possible, provide you with an immediate full refund.
- Even if trains are running well, if you decide not to use a ticket you have bought, you can apply for a refund from the people you bought it from (ticket office, website or travel agent). This should be done within 28 days of expiry of the ticket. You will be refunded as soon as possible. Please be aware that a £10 administration fee per ticket will normally be charged in these circumstances. Please note, Southern and non-Southern Advance tickets are non-refundable, except in the event of a delay or cancellation.
Please bear in mind that the following applies if you surrender your ticket for a refund:
- The amount you receive as a refund will normally take into account any use you have made of the ticket, e.g. you will charged for a single fare if you used the outward portion of a return ticket
- In the case of a refund application being made of your own decision, or events that prevent you from travelling are not caused by the Train Company, you will normally have to pay a £10 administrative fee which in some circumstances means no refund will be paid as there may not be any residual value left on your ticket
- Your right to receive a refund of all or part of the price paid may be restricted in the case of some types of reduced and discounted fare tickets, e.g. advance purchase fares. Please check the conditions of the tickets either from the ticket/telesales office or from the Train Company’s website if purchased online before travelling
- In the case of refunds purchased from anywhere other than at a Southern Station, you will not receive an immediate refund but your refund application will be processed as soon as reasonably practicable. This will be due to the fact that your application will need to be sent to the relevant company for processing first.
- As of 30th September 2014 Southern Advance tickets will no longer be refundable under our Money Back Guarantee scheme.