See if there is any service disruption on the Southern network, check live departures and arrivals from any station or find out about any alternative routes during unplanned disruption.
Disruption to Gatwick Express, Southern and Thameslink services until the end of serviceShow detailsHide details
Due to a number of incidents today, train services running across the whole Gatwick Express, Southern and Thameslink network may be cancelled, delayed by up to 30 minutes or revised.
Disruption is expected until the end of service.
A number of ongoing incidents are affecting services today throughout the network.
Whats going on?
Ongoing issues include:
- An empty broken down train blocking one of the lines between London Bridge and New Cross Gate, which means we have had to reduce the number of trains running in and out of London Bridge. This train is stranded on a section of track which is unable to receive power and will remain there until this evening when engineers will be able restore the power supply and recover the train
- Wet and snowy weather - this means for safety reasons, drivers need to travel at reduced speeds
- A shortage of available train crew
- Various train faults
- A points failure at Lewes
Earlier issues include:
- An operational incident at Haywards Heath blocking one of the London Bound lines.
- An operational incident at Wivlesfield
- A passenger taken ill on a train earlier at Clapham Junction blocking one of the London Bound lines
- An earlier signal fault at Swanwick on the South West coast which caused trains to run at reduced speed towards Southampton Central
- A points failure at Tulse Hill, affecting Platform 3 towards Herne Hill
On busy routes, where trains need to run to a very tight schedule, problems like these can cause knock-on delays on both the main route where the problem has arisen and on the routes that connect to it that can continue for hours afterwards.
How will this affect me?
As there are fewer lines available between New Cross Gate and London Bridge, some services will be revised to avoid serious congestion. Services in this area are being disrupted and may be diverted away from London Bridge.
No service will run from London Bridge to East Grinstead in both directions. It is advised that you change at East Croydon for connecting services to East Grinstead or alternatively, you are able to travel to from London Victoria.
Services are NOW able to run to Seaford via Brighton however NO services will operate between Haywards Heath and Lewes via Plumpton.
What are my alternatives?
Ticket acceptance in in place with the following on all reasonable routes:
- Thameslink (please note, Thameslink are also affected by these incidents)
- London Overground
- London Underground
- Tramlink between Beckenham Junction and Wimbledon
- London Buses
- Brighton and Hove bus route 29
- Uckfield routed tickets will be accepted from Haywards Heath
- Southeastern between Tunbridge Wells and London Bridge
- Brighton and Hove Buses routes 28 and 29 are now able to run again and will accept Southern tickets
- Seaford and District routes 228 and 229
- Rail replacement services are in operation between Brighton and Lewes
- Rail replacement services are in operation between Lewes and Seaford
- Ticket acceptance with South Western Railway between Dorking and London
Check before you travel:
Please use the National Rail Enquiries real-time Journey Planner to check your journey before you travel.
If you would like to follow this incident on Twitter, please use #UKSnow
You may be entitled to compensation if you experience a delay in completing your journey today. Please keep your train ticket and make a note of your journey, as both will be required to support any claim.
We want to make information better - tell us how! Fill out this online Disruption Survey.
Last updated: 11/12/2017 11:50
Timetable changes from 10 December 2017Show detailsHide details
The new Southern timetable starts on Sunday 10 December 2017. There are some changes Monday to Friday due to some services transferring to Thameslink and being operated by new Class 700 trains. There are no changes to services on Saturday or Sunday.
Please follow this link for further information.
Last updated: 05/12/2017 01:19
Check live departures or arrivals at any station
Planned engineering work for Today
Buses replace late night services between Three Bridges and Brighton / Worthing / Eastbourne from Monday 11 to Friday 15 December
11 December - 15 December 2017 11:59 PM
Between London Victoria and Worthing / Brighton and also between Three Bridges and Eastbourne
Engineering work is taking place between Three Bridges and Brighton / Worthing / Eastbourne, closing some lines.
Monday - Wednesday
The 23:32 London Victoria to Brighton service will terminate at Three Bridges. A bus will operate from Three Bridges at 00:27 to Brighton.
Tuesday - Friday
The 00:05 London Victoria to Worthing service will terminate at Three Bridges. A bus will operate at 00:56 to Worthing.
A bus will operate at 00:59 from Three Bridges to Eastbourne.
Check before you travel:
You can plan your journey using the National Rail Enquiries Journey Planner
Non folding bicycles are not allowed on rail replacement bus services at any time. Folding bicycles are allowed if fully folded. For more information, please see here.
You can read more about engineering work and why it is necessary.
To check for future disruptions visit the planned engineering works page.
2 Train formation updates
23:22 Hastings to Brighton due 00:34
Facilities on the 23:22 Hastings to Brighton due 00:34.
Will be formed of 12 coaches instead of 4.
23:40 London Victoria to Horsham due 01:00
Facilities on the 23:40 London Victoria to Horsham due 01:00.
Will be formed of 12 coaches instead of 8.
0 Changes to train facilities
6 Station updates
Clapham Junction: Lifts out of order
The lifts are now working between platform 13 & 14 and footbridge at Clapham Junction station.
East Croydon: Lifts out of order
The lifts will be out of order between platforms 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 and the footbridge from 15:17 on 10/12/2017 until further notice at East Croydon station.
Harrow & Wealdstone: Lifts out of order
The lifts will be out of order between platform 5 and the entrance / exit from now until further notice at Harrow & Wealdstone station.
Horley: Lifts out of order
The lifts will be out of order between platform 1, 2, 3 and 4 and the footbridge from now until further notice at Horley station.
Horley: Lifts out of order
The lifts will be out of order between Platform 1 and the footbridge. from now until further notice at Horley station.
Mitcham Eastfields: Lifts out of order
The lifts will be out of order between the platforms and the footbridge from now until further notice at Mitcham Eastfields station.