How do I book my train tickets?
Booking train tickets is simple. We offer several booking options to cater for customers' preferences.
- Online: It’s quick, easy and safe to buy train tickets online using our journey planer. You can choose your delivery method, and we won't charge you a pesky booking fee.
- Ticket office: If you’d prefer to speak to someone about your railway ticket, booking at a ticket office is the way to go. We have staffed ticket offices at our larger stations.
- Ticket machines: As well as collecting tickets bought online, you can use our self-service ticket machines to buy train tickets using cash or a credit or debit card.
- Contactless: If you’re travelling in and around London, you can tap your contactless payment card or device on the move, and we’ll charge you the best pay-as-you-go fare available on the day.
Learn more about the different ways to pay.
Where can I travel with Southern?
We operate a huge variety of routes across London and the south of England, to help you get where you need to be with ease.
If you're heading to the seaside, popular destinations along the coast include Southampton, Bognor Regis, Brighton, Eastbourne, Hastings, and Ashford.
You can also travel around central London with us, so whether you need to commute, get to an important meeting, or simply meet up with friends, we've got you covered.
Download our network map to find out more about our routes.
Which ticket type is right for me?
We have a range of tickets to help you get from A to B, so you're sure to find an option that's right for you. Here are some of the ticket types on offer.
- Anytime tickets - these tickets are valid on any train, so you have the freedom to travel whenever you like. They're ideal if you're unsure what time you'll need to hop on the train and want to keep your options open. Check out our standard or First Class Anytime tickets today
- Off-peak tickets - you can take advantage of great-value tickets by travelling when it's less busy. Off-Peak tickets are valid after the morning rush hour, when trains are quieter and often cheaper – plus, you can save even more with Super Off-Peak tickets at weekends
- Advance tickets - want the best-value ticket? If you know when you want to travel, you can get the cheapest fare by booking ahead. Our Advance tickets are available up to 12 weeks in advance and are for single journeys – getting you from A to B for the best price
- PlusBus - Add PlusBus to your train ticket for unlimited bus and tram travel once you arrive at your destination. It offers discounted prices and saves you the time and hassle of buying them separately.
How do I get cheap train tickets?
We want to make your journey as cost-effective as possible, which is why we offer many ways to save money. Options that could help you cut the cost of your train tickets include:
You can buy tickets online and collect them from the ticket machine before you travel. You can also buy them at the station from a ticket machine or staffed ticket office.
Subscribe to email updates. Get travel inspiration, journey updates and exclusive offers delivered straight to your inbox.
We will not pass on your personal information to any organisation outside of Southern.
Should we no longer operate the Southern franchise, please be aware that we will pass your details to the Successor franchise or Secretary of State for Transport to allow you to continue receiving service and/or marketing emails if you have consented to them.
Thank you for subscribing to receive relevant updates from Southern.
Something went wrong with your submission, please try again later.