Trains with First Class
Southern services on our longer distance routes have first class accommodation. Routes with and without first class are shown below. Where first class is available, this will be clearly indicated by signage on the relevant carriages. On routes served by Thameslink trains, first class accommodation can be found at the very front of the train. The first class compartment at the rear of Thameslink trains is always declassified.
Routes with first class operate between;
- Brighton and London
- Portsmouth Harbour/Portsmouth & Southsea/Bognor Regis and London
- Southampton Central/Bognor Regis and London
- Southampton Central and Brighton
- Eastbourne/Ore/Seaford and London
- Brighton and Hastings/Ore
- East Grinstead and London
- Uckfield and London
- Hemel Hempstead/Watford Junction and East Croydon
- Reigate and London
- Tonbridge and Redhill/Reigate
Routes with standard class only operate between;
- Eastbourne and Ashford International
- Portsmouth Harbour/Portsmouth & Southsea and Brighton (First Class is de-classified)
- Brighton and Littlehampton
- Portsmouth Harbour/Portsmouth & Southsea and Littlehampton (First Class is de-classified)
- Brighton and Seaford
- Horsham and London (via Dorking)
- Caterham/Tattenham Corner and London
- Beckenham Junction and London
- Epsom and London
- Epsom Downs and London
- Sutton to London
- West Croydon to London
- Bognor Regis and Littlehampton
A number of stations are served by trains operating on different routes, some with and some without first class. We strongly recommend that you check in advance whether your planned service operates with first class or not. The easiest way to check is through our timetables pages.
If you have purchased a first class ticket, your journey is entirely on the Southern or Thameslink route and:
- The first class accommodation is declassified, or
- The first class accommodation at the front of the train is full and you are unable to find a first class seat
You can claim the appropriate difference between the standard and first class fare using our First Class claim form.
Wheelchair spaces are available within standard class accommodation only.
Remember to purchase your First Class ticket before you board as our staff can’t swap your ticket from Standard Class to First Class on the train. Travelling in First Class without a valid First Class ticket, may result in a penalty fare.