How much is a Penalty Fare?
A Penalty Fare is £100 plus the price of the full single fare applicable for your intended journey. However, if it is paid within 21 days, the Penalty Fare is reduced to £50 plus the price of the single fare applicable
When can I be charged with a Penalty Fare?
You may have to pay a Penalty Fare if you:
- travel without a valid ticket
- are unable to produce an appropriate Railcard for a discount ticket
- travel in First Class accommodation with a Standard ticket
- are aged 16 or over, travelling on a child rate ticket
- travel beyond the destination on your ticket.
If you are a disabled passenger, and are unable to easily purchase a ticket at the station where the journey starts, then the appropriate fare, including discount if applicable, can be paid en route without penalty.