Contactless Pay As You Go (PAYG)
Contactless payment cards can be used to travel on most National Rail services in London, as well as bus, Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground and TfL Rail. Fares and daily caps are the same as with Oyster PAYG.
Just touch your debit or credit card on a yellow card reader to pay for your journey, the same as you would with your Oyster card, and you won’t have to queue for tickets at the station and won’t have to top up. Always remember to touch in and out.
With Contactless there is no need to top up or queue for tickets at the station. It makes getting around the capital so easy.
For more details on using Contactless card including registering it please visit contactless.tfl.gov.uk.
Contactless PAYG to Gatwick Airport and now Epsom
PAYG is also available at the following Southern stations:
- Gatwick Airport
These extensions allow you to use either a contactless card, mobile device or an Oyster card to pay for travel.
As Oyster PAYG is based on single fares, there are occasions when Oyster may not be the cheapest option for your combination of journeys. Details of PAYG single fares can here found on the TfL website here. Details of caps for extension stations can also be found on the TfL website.
There are some important differences to be aware of:
- These stations will not be included in the advertised London Travelcard zones; instead it offers customers an alternative way to pay for their travel using PAYG
- Season tickets will not be available on Oyster along the extended route. If you normally buy a season ticket you are advised to continue to buy this using the Key Smartcard or a paper ticket
- Whilst a daily cap will apply; it is important to be aware that it will not always be cheaper than buying a return paper ticket. There will also be a weekly price cap for those using a Contactless card or mobile device; but it will still be cheaper to buy a season ticket on the Key Smartcard or paper
- Children’s ZIP Oyster cards, London Freedom Pass, 60+ London Oyster photocard and Veterans Oyster photocard holders can NOT travel free on the these routes
- If you’re travelling between Gatwick Airport and London Victoria, please be aware that there are two fares in operation. If you travel on the Gatwick Express you will be charged the more expensive but flexible ‘any permitted’ fare. If you travel on Southern you will be charged a lower fare. The fare charged is determined by the gateline which you enter or exit through at London Victoria. Gatwick Express services generally arrive/leave from platforms 13 & 14 and Southern trains generally arrive/leave from platforms 15 – 19. Please make sure you touch in or out at the correct gateline.