Southern is committed to every passenger paying for the journey that they make. We are committed to making purchasing a ticket to travel as easy as possible and that all our passengers enjoy a safe, reliable and pleasant journey with us. We are also committed to reducing and preventing fare evasion on our services.
We will be vigorous, effective and consistent in all our dealings with fare evasion and revenue protection activity, using relevant legislation and powers to ensure that we protect the interest of all our fare paying passengers.
We will make it clear to passengers what their responsibilities are when travelling with us, how to get the correct ticket for the journey they are making and if they do not we will make it clear what will happen and when.
Southern Railway will:
- operate a penalty fares scheme on its trains and at all of its stations
- prosecute criminal fare evasion
- prosecute offences under the Railway Byelaws
- comply with the Data Protection act
- seek financial compensation for costs and damages incurred